Welcome

Welcome to my dreamy little piece of life. I live in Hawaii with my family of five and operate Raine or Shine Pottery Co.

Monday, March 19, 2012

My First Formal Instruction

I HAVE THIS VISION of creating complete gifts. Pots with some of my favorite things in them. Candles, orchids, cut roses, sedum are the few I have been dreaming about. I ordered some English roses for my thirty-fifth birthday and they should arrive airmail from the mainland soon. Maybe even Monday, which already is looking to be a stellar day. At an orchid show this afternoon, I met a potter. We sat in her booth (she was selling pots) for quite a piece of time. She gave me the inside scoop! Who's doing what and where for however much and when? Who's company is enjoyable, how long is the commute? She explained the workings of the pottery guild in Honolulu, which in her well informed opinion was the only way to go. Turns out there is one thirteen week session for each of the four season. And classes start on Monday! She was nearly positive they were all filled full up! Then she spotted a guild member walking by and asked him. He was pretty sure there was one spot in one Monday night class taught by Steve so-and-so. We were speaking insessantly when another potter came strolling along with the tiniest orchid specimens. He is in the Monday class and was certain the only remaining spot was in Steve's monday night class. Suggesting we call to make certain and send me off to Honolulu as soon as the traffic would allow. And so it came to be, my first real instruction on the wheel, thirteen lovely Monday nights on the other side of the island. AND as much studio time as needed, any time of the day. I do not miss Honolulu side, all the traffic and skyscrapers, but it is there the sun sets . . . and I do do miss those tropical sunsets. Now I suppose I'll catch a few.